This site is dedicated for helping and supporting PARROTS and their OWNERS

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Live Chat Available on the home page to MEMBERS!!! ----- MORE SPECIAL FEATURES TO COME TO MEMBERS  -----  JOIN NOW ***IT'S FREE***
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 19 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Share | 

it just goes to show that patients is the key

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete
Founder

Birdie Points : 660

PostSubject: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:48 am

well..... to those of you who dont already know....

in 1992 my grandad was a African Grey Breeder and Billy was his first chick to come from it, so he kept him as his own personal bird. he used to talk like mad, had a massive vocabulary, and his favorite song was
'BILLY DONT BE A HERO' that he used to sing very well. and it still seems to calm him to this day.

after 6 years with Billy my grandad passed away, and because of that billy plucked him self bare and never said another word , i guess he felt abandoned by it.

We accepted him as a non-talking Grey, Knowing he may never talk again.

11 years later (today) billy has a 2 word vocab 'C'MON BILL' and 'HELLO' they are under his breath and really hard to understand, although i have noticed him saying a few other things lately, he says "HELLO' clearly now, he has said the word 'BAST' i dont know where he is going with this one Laughing , and another word which i havn't been able to make out yet, oh.... and he makes a farting noise ( i blame the girlfriend for that Twisted Evil ) but the pace seems to be picking up for new words slowly.

So billy went silent for 10 - 11 years. it took Approx. 11 years of patients for him to talk again and we are finally there Very Happy

Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 775

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 am

awww, good job billy and pete! I love you keep up the good work! Very Happy

you know you've found that special someone when they say those three little words: drinks on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
julie
Teen
Teen

Birdie Points : 277

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:04 am

Well done billy.....
that is excellent news
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carolhenry
Teen
Teen

Birdie Points : 431

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:38 am

well done billy and dont forget pete Very Happy Cool Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DEBBIE
Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 971

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Well done Billy!!!!! Brilliant news! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Founder

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:48 am

thanks.... well between when i made this post and today, he hasnt stoped singing (whistling) its non stop Very Happy lol i like to join in with him, and we just sit for ages whistling songs lol he is kinda outa tune but he tries his best Laughing

we have 3 new sounds Very Happy i think one is ' Wah Wah' i have no idea where he has picked that up, and the other is a 'burp' lol i have a grey that farts and burps now Laughing and a sneezing noise. Rolling Eyes he is still abit confused with the 'hello' he says it when i leave the room Laughing mmmmm...... i wonder if that because he hears people say it when they enter the room, he thinks if he says it when i am outa that room it will make me come back in confused

he is on a roll, i no longer call him a quiet bird Very Happy

one of his new fav songs is 'meat loaf - paradise by the dash board light' he does like a side stepping dance to it, i will see if i can catch it on video to show ya

Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:01 am

Bless him, I love you I love you At long last hes finally come round, its noise all the way from now on!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joanne
Egg
Egg

Birdie Points : 21

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 pm

That's really cool Pete. I see that Billy likes the old tunes. Good job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carolhenry
Teen
Teen

Birdie Points : 431

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:35 am

cant wait to see billy dance Smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Chick
Chick

Birdie Points : 280

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 am

Awww,that's just brought a tear to my eye pete. Did you ever try and play 'billy don't be a hero' to him? Sad

Sounds like he's slowly stating to be happy again Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Founder

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 pm

yeah i almost play it everyday, he has a playlist on the PC with about 20-30min of songs for him that i play when i can.

Chick
Chick

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:41 am

Very Happy ahhh thats cool pete. I ought to try it for jasper. He does have the radio on sometimes,he seems to like reggae and heavy rock? Shocked he starts his head bobbing when this music comes on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:22 pm

thats exactly what i do for cjs! ...every morning, the same songs (about 7 or so)....

you know you've found that special someone when they say those three little words: drinks on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DEBBIE
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:41 pm

My birdies must be slow! They still havent learned th mcdonalds song!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:45 pm

cjs doesn't know that one either! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Chick
Chick

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 am

Oh they'll learn it soon enough then it'll be ever so slightly annoying Smile

Every whistle jasper hears he turns into the mcdonalds tune Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Founder

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:11 am

billy does the MacDonalds tune all the time, he loves it .

Chick
Chick

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:31 am

Yes jasper loves it too,he'll whistle it and then say 'oooo mcdonalds' and if you don't answer him saying 'yes jasper it is mcdonalds' he says it over and over till you do Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Founder

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 am

OMG billy has just shouted his own name, i have never heard a parrot talk so clearly in my life, i think it was my voice lol. first time he has said his own name aswell.

he is really starting to pick things up fast now, he will be able to say more than me before long Very Happy

Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:03 am

good job billy! cheers I love you

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irina
BIRD BRAIN
BIRD BRAIN

Birdie Points : 132

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 am

Billy is so clever! Well done, you, you do have a lot of patience Pete and it is great your grandad had such a lovely grandson who is taking care of Billy now. Many people don't even know who to leave their birds to in case something happens to them!
Pete, you said he was plucking, did he just stop at some point, or did you do anything to stop it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.parrotcomforts.co.uk
Pete
Founder

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:56 am

thank you Smile

i arnt sure, i think he stopped on his own.

billys cage used to be right next to where my grandad used to sit, and thats where he plucked, we moved the cage into another room, and he just seemed to stop plucking.

so am not sure if it was us moving him into the other room that stopped it or he just stopped him self.

BIRD BRAIN
BIRD BRAIN

Birdie Points : 132

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:00 am

yeah, I heard that sometimes moving the cage helps, but my parrot moved houses, and still hasn't stopped plucking Sad( but oh well, it is good to know that moving the cage really helps sometimes, thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.parrotcomforts.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: it just goes to show that patients is the key   

Back to top Go down

it just goes to show that patients is the key
Page 1 of 1