This site is dedicated for helping and supporting PARROTS and their OWNERS

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Live Chat Available on the home page to MEMBERS!!! ----- MORE SPECIAL FEATURES TO COME TO MEMBERS  -----  JOIN NOW ***IT'S FREE***
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 19 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Share | 

Parrot charities

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Irina
BIRD BRAIN
BIRD BRAIN

Birdie Points : 132

PostSubject: Parrot charities   Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi guys, I thought I will post the information here, as it is for a good cause.
I have added a very important page to my website - "Donate". I am not asking to donate anything for myself Very Happy No! I am asking to donate, anything from just one pound/dollar to at least one of those charities I list here http://www.parrotcomforts.co.uk/donate

There are two types of organisations listed - one helping parrots in the wild and the second one - captive parrots who were given up for different reasons. Donations to any of them will go to a good cause, one of the best possible in fact!

I have been inspired to do that by numerous stories of how all these organisatons help parrots all over the world.
Yesterday, I read a wonderful story in the Parrot Society Magazine about the project carried out by Loro Park Foundation. The aim of project was to preserve the Yellow-eared parrot (Ognorhynchus icterotis) from extinction. This parrot was once abundant in the Andes, but gradually disappeared, as the wax palms on which it depends were cut down. In 1996 only 20 birds were known to survive. In that year Loro Park Foundation stated to support the work in the direction of saving this species from extinction. By the end of 2003 the Loro Park Foundation had spent $185,072 on the project ensuring the survival of this species in Colombia. The small population increased to 600 birds! The steps which were taken included education of the locals, planting wax palms, and many many other things. It takes 50 years for the wax palm to turn from a collection of leaves into a tree! Parrots nests in the hollows of the trunks of the palms, and the natives used to cut the palms down for Easter celebration. After the educational activities were introduced for the next Easter not a single palm was cut down for the celebration, instead other, much more widely spread species were used. Moreover, the local government funded the planting of many new wax palms, there is now a special well-managed area where many palms were planted for the parrots to inhabit. The attitude to this parrot was changed by the education. This species of parrot used to be shot by the farmers, who thought they were raiding their crops, whereas in fact they don't even feed on crops! The situation has changed now, and the murals of yellow-headed parrot can now be seen on the walls of some buildings, so proud of their own little parrot people are there! The work on the project continues and more funding is needed, as well as for many many other conservation projects carried out by Loro Park Foundation, which are all run just on donations!

This story of a rescue Macaw left me in tears, and just one more time made me realise how important the work of parrot rescues and sanctuaries are! http://www.fosterparrots.com/story.html

Please please consider donating to these organisations, or in fact any other ones if you know about them Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.parrotcomforts.co.uk
carolhenry
Teen
Teen

Birdie Points : 431

PostSubject: Re: Parrot charities   Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:03 am

rrrrr will do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 775

PostSubject: Re: Parrot charities   Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:36 pm

thanks irina...lots of people don't know about these helpful orgs (me, for one, lol) and its nice to know there are people out there in this world who care, and need help doing so...you have already helped right there. I love you

you know you've found that special someone when they say those three little words: drinks on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mianmani
Egg
Egg

Birdie Points : 5

PostSubject: OnLiNe JoB aT HoME   Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 am

free classifiedsI like your site its quite informative and i would like to come here again as i get some time from my studies. i would like to invite my other friends to this site, as you have done a great job.i must say...keep it up guys..
ccnp certification
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parrot charities   

Back to top Go down

Parrot charities
Page 1 of 1