This site is dedicated for helping and supporting PARROTS and their OWNERS

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Live Chat Available on the home page to MEMBERS!!! ----- MORE SPECIAL FEATURES TO COME TO MEMBERS  -----  JOIN NOW ***IT'S FREE***
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 19 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Share | 

head twitches

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 775

PostSubject: head twitches   Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:48 am

last nite when i put cjs down for bedtime he was twitching his head so much i started to panic...every 5 seconds or so! ...i looked it up online and heard everything from 'its a common occurrence in greys' to 'seizures'...but he's not doing it at all this morning...(i find myself watching his every move)...should i take him back to the vets? anyone heard of this problem? Sad

you know you've found that special someone when they say those three little words: drinks on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 pm

he didn't do it all morning, but started again late afternoon...called the vet, he said to just watch him for mucus coming from his nose...i'm getting worried here with no answers in sight. Sad

you know you've found that special someone when they say those three little words: drinks on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carolhenry
Teen
Teen

Birdie Points : 431

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:57 pm

oh nancy i do hope hes pk please please keep us up to date, every second im going to realy worry for you, iv never heard of it peggy does the normal head bobbing when dancing Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pete
Founder

Birdie Points : 660

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:43 am

Billy twichs his head often normally followed by a flutter or a tail wag but not always, seems to only do it when he is tired. not sure if it's the same thing.

Hope every thing is ok for him and it's just nothing to worry about.

Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

thanx guys...again this morning not a single twitch...it seems to start in the afternoon and increase as the day goes on...i'm thinking of getting a different vets opinion, but waiting for sandis reply on it too... Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
julie
Teen
Teen

Birdie Points : 277

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:17 am

Oh nancy i hope CJS is okay

silly question now
could it be the weather...getting warmer during the day
as mine dont like it when it gets to humid
i am spraying them 3 times aday at the moment
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:36 am

yes, it has been very hot and humid the last few days...geesh, i do hope you're right and its nothing to worry about...i'm gonna spray more often and see if that helps any...doesn't spraying add the humidity though? ...thanks for the quick sigh of relief and hope here, i am at wits end with worry...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DEBBIE
Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 971

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:44 am

Bellino does it a lot as well, he always has.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:13 am

well...at first cjs didn't do it (twitch), so i brought out the cell phone with that video so she could see exactly what i meant...then about 1/2 way through the exam he started doing it in person for her (not that is good, but i wanted her to see it)...anyways, she agrees that this is not a normal thing...she mentioned ear mites, swelling around the brain, nervous condition (all of which terrify me, especially the brain thing) Sad
...his weight and poop all checked out fine...she somewhat ruled out the earmites, but not completely...he got a shot of anti-inflammatory, along with a (as she stated) a very small amount of ivermectin- in case the ear mites were indeed the problem...she also gave me liquid vitamins for him ( i expained to her i used to give cjs vitamins, but stopped as i was worried i wasn't giving the correct amounts due to unsure of the conversions on the bottle)...these ones are very easy- 4 drops per day...
...i am to watch him over the weekend and report back to her monday morning- any improvements, no improvements, worse, etc. to help rule out the cause of this... i sure do hope he gets better soon...

ps- after i posted the video, others said their birdies twitch like that too...but he's doing it every 4 or 5 seconds, continually, in late evenings...(i have the video clip on facebook but can't figure out how to post it here)...he even does it while 'trying' to eat sometimes... Sad

pss- on a lighter note, the vet also takes care of other cags, one of which is named sally, and commented that cjs is well behaved, and is an angel compared to sally, LOL.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
carolhenry
Teen
Teen

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:03 am

poor c j s hope he better soon please keep us posted on how he is, iv been looking everywere for your post and just found this iv been so worried, email me of any change as i feel as he one of my family Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:56 am

thanx guys...i've been posting mostly on here and facebook (always anxious for sandi's reply on there), by the time i get to the other forum i find myself too upset to talk about it...on a positive note sandi did say she did not think its life threatening (which was my major concern) since he is being seen by a vet to find out the cause...(told her exactly what meds were given and she told me exactly what to ask for next). if he doesn't stop this twitching so much i will go mad with worry! Sad

...i wouldn't worry about the occasional twitches, i now notice them on cjs' older videos (didn't even notice before)...the frequency is what bothers me (and him)...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
carolhenry
Teen
Teen

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:56 pm

fingers crossed nancy, keep us up to date Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
julie
Teen
Teen

Birdie Points : 277

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:30 am

Fingers crossed for you nancy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DEBBIE
Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 971

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:41 am

Hows he doing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:34 am

he's still doing it, but it is definitely improving...it was a scare for sure! Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm

he is now regressing...which tells me the 'at home' meds are not fixing the problem, but something in the shots he received did help...the vet is unsure as the actual remedy as well...(hopefully we can figure this out, soon!)...believe me what he is doing is not normal, it's scary to see...(sometimes he even can't eat for the twitching, drops his food by accident, even treats) Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: head twitches   

Back to top Go down

head twitches
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrots Paradise :: The Parrots :: The Parrots :: African Grey :: Health & Care-
Jump to: