This site is dedicated for helping and supporting PARROTS and their OWNERS

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Live Chat Available on the home page to MEMBERS!!! ----- MORE SPECIAL FEATURES TO COME TO MEMBERS  -----  JOIN NOW ***IT'S FREE***
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 19 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Share | 

Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lori S.
Egg
Egg

Birdie Points : 5

PostSubject: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 am

I have 6 parrots down from 15. I have two female tiels, 1 DYHA, 1 PFC & two Pacific Parrotlets.
I found this site through the President of our local Bird Club on FB.

My PFC has just started screeching everytime my two tiels try to "chirp". It's so anoying. Now he also just screams to scream. I'd like any advice as to how to deal w/this.
I've tried giving him different toys, taking him w/me on my chores around the house. I even try to only talk to him when he talks nicely & not at all when he screams which is few and far between. Then he says, "Be niiiiiiiiice" & "silly buuuuuuurd!". I don't know what start this behavior. The tiels are 6 yrs old and he is 5. They've been in the same room in the two houses that we've been in. At first I thought he was trying to mimic them but if it it just shuts them up.
Any advice is welcome. Thx, Lori
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweeetnlowww
Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 775

PostSubject: Re: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:09 am

hi lori and welcome to the group...i'm nancy, from wv (so we're practically neighbors, lol)
...have you tried to play loud music, clapping your hands, or something such as that to distract the screaming?...

you know you've found that special someone when they say those three little words: drinks on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lori S.
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:42 am

I've tried the music and tried to distract him w/something different that he likes to say. . .which used to work. I know you're not supposed to cover them but I was desperate last week and he started talking nicely as soon as the cover was over his cage. I left it on for about 10-15 min and when I took it off I said, "Now be nice,k?" He said something but it was normal, not screeching. Yesterday, I tried the cover and it didn't stop him so I took him upstairs and put him in my Amazon's cage since he was down here and he was quiet for awhile but then started screaming so I went up and got him.
He is so smart that a couple of weeks ago everytime I pulled a drawer out on my desk he screamed. Then, moving papers. . .THEN everytime I hit a key or clicked the mouse!!! Fortunately he stopped that. A funny thing that he started was a sound like a "doink" kind of and I didn't know where that was from. I realized he was copying me when I hiccupped! Thanks for the other two ideas. I'll try them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Chick
Chick

Birdie Points : 280

PostSubject: Re: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

hi and welcome lori.

a pfc - peach faced conure? are they normally this excitable? i wonder if maybe he's actually trying to get to your cockatiels - they may be annoying him in some way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DEBBIE
Adult
Adult

Birdie Points : 971

PostSubject: Re: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi and welcome!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lori S.
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi Jules,
I think he is just trying to copy as much as he can of anyone. But when he goes off on these screaming fits that "as far as I can see" have no basis I just don't get it. Then my DYH gets all excited and antsy partly because Polly, the conure, is freaking out and partly because he's getting all of this attention for al the wrong reasons. He is a copycat in that he's learned three times as much as my DTH, Bobby, since I've had them both about as long. Bobby is 10. Whenever Polly is doing anything but screaming I reward him w/attention. He was always a very quiet (meaning no senseless screaming) bird besides talking either to himself or me. Thx, Lori
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Chick
Chick

Birdie Points : 280

PostSubject: Re: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:03 am

it must you other birds as far as i can tell,dont mean it in a bad way of course.

i suppose its like crying babies,once one starts they all join in. sorry i'm not of much help but cant think of another reason
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA   

Back to top Go down

Hello All. My name is Lori from PA, USA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrots Paradise :: General :: Introduction-
Jump to: